(courtesy of Capturing Cambridge)
LOTS OF LOVELY HOT WATER!
This report investigates the building now popularly known as The Bath House, which stands on the corner of Mill Road and Gwydir Street. Belonging to both streets, the site up to 1913 bore the postal address ‛99 Mill Road’; in 1914 it was redesignated as ‛[unnumbered] Gwydir Street’. The site has been occupied successively by two buildings: Gwydir House to c.1913, and the present building since c.1927.
The present building, formerly providing public baths to the local population, has since 1976 been a community centre. Although not a listed building it is considered to be a ‛building of local interest’ (BLI) and a ‛focal building’ within the Mill Road Conservation Area.
Above – The old Doctor’s house prior to its demolition
The History of The Bath House – 10mb pdf